Monday, March 12, 2012

Persistence and Patience

This is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

All of the leaders and top earners are those who stay the course and get the necessary coaching along the way – and of course, were persistent.  

Now, some that know me will say- "WOW – of all people Chris is talking about patience?!" 

I was great at being persistent – but not at being patient.  Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I recognize the value in both.

One of the things that always seems to come up is the frustration that "THINGS JUST AREN'T HAPPENING FAST ENOUGH." Don’t we all want it sooner?  Don’t we all in fact sometimes want it YESTERDAY?  

We all go through it and we're all human!  I was reading some comments recently from James Ray- he is the former Sales Trainer for AT&T...an interesting guy. He mentioned that the "basics" we need to be conscious of are pretty simple.  

1 - It took you "X" years to become who are you.  You cannot change overnight...but YOU CAN CHANGE ANYTHING YOU WANT TO in time – especially in this industry because EVERYTHING is learnable.

For goodness sakes – if you’re 35 or 75 years old realize that it took you 35 or 75 years to get where you are now; to form some of your greatest positive habits, and some of your negative habits… Be persistent in your efforts to CHANGE and be patient with yourself.

2 - If you are doing everything in your business plan and personal plans CONSISTENTLY...it's just a matter of time.  LACK OF PATIENCE IS THE BIGGEST ENEMY OF SUCCESS. 

It reminds me of the whole lead generation system being like a funnel.  Well, liken that funnel to a funnel with oil in it versus one that was bone dry.  Picture it - when you pour oil into a dry funnel it takes some time for it to coat the sides and eventually come out the other end….BUT once it’s coated the oil flows right through much faster smoother.

Well, when we’re prospecting we fill that funnel with prospects – names – just like oil…and when there are enough names in there (which takes time and patience) then some higher quality leads will pop out the bottom of the funnel – but just like the oil, not until there were a bunch of names … a bunch of leads … in there.

3 - Apply what you are learning every day - every chance you get.  Use the new expertise you are being exposed to...your "old way" is often the 'cause of your frustration.  

I had a coach –his name was Tim Wood – and he coached me from 1996-2000 to build my real estate brokerage business up and ultimately sell it for over ¼ million in 2000.  Tim used to always tell me at each stage of growth, "Chris, what got you here will hold you back trying to get to the next level."

Don’t stay still – if you’re standing still you’re actually going backwards because the best of the best in your business are not standing still. . . they’re moving!

IN order to apply what Tim says – applying what you learn every day – I strongly suggest you start a journal.  I have a journal next to my reading and brain storming chair in my house.

How about if each night in your journal you answered four questions:

  1. What was the best thing that happened today (success will reinforce everything about what you’re moving towards and keep you positive and focused during challenging times –we all have them).
  2. What was the greatest challenge today?
  3. How could I have handled it differently?
  4. What was the best thing I learned today?

Then after you answer #4 go to your to do list and/or your calendar – depending upon how you set up your day – and APPLY WHAT YOU LEARNED immediately by scheduling something from it or acting upon it in some way.  

I remember teaching my agents in real estate how many calls and appointments it took to get a listing – and I’d say the same thing.  Go out and do the calls.  Well its no different with you … let’s do what it takes per week or per month or per day or whatever fits your goals.

If you’re thinking-ok I hear this but I’m uncomfortable because it’s so different or so new to me …..congratulations - you WILL be uncomfortable if you’re growing. 

Our son had a terrible snow board accident in 2003 which I’m sure you’ve heard about.  He said the first time he gave his speech after his accident his legs were numb – after the 4th speech in Providence he said, "Dad, I really like speaking now and would like to do it more!"

Well if you heard him speak in the spring of 2005 to over 800 people at the Westin Hotel in Boston you would have said, "WOW – what a great speaker!" Many came up to me and said “Isn’t he lucky to have that gift to speak?” .... if they only knew!  


No comments:

Post a Comment